Experience: 0-3 years
Work Status: Full-time
Job Type: Permanent
Contact: Phillip Kelleher firstname.lastname@example.org
About McGinnis Chen Associates, Inc.
McGinnis Chen Associates, Inc. (MCA) is a building enclosure consulting firm comprised of Architects, Engineers, and former Contractors. MCA was founded in 1963 and has offices in San Francisco, Southern California, and Sacramento. MCA’s specialty focuses on the building enclosure including waterproofing, roofing, and the buildings skin integration into the entire construction. Water damage is the leading cause of buildings deterioration and construction litigation cases. MCA regularly works for both Architects and Building Owners to help restore and protect both existing and new buildings. Specializing in this field exposes us to a wide range of experiences in the construction industry and also provides job stability.
Our projects and employees are extremely diverse. We work on everything from high-end single family homes to high-rise skyline defining structures. We hire Architects, Engineers, former Contractors, and drafters from various backgrounds to provide a well rounded team. All employees are exposed to a myriad of professional experiences including design, drafting, peer review, bidding consultation, construction administration, forensic investigations, construction litigation support, and building enclosure testing. Employees gain valuable experience. Our firm emphasizes flexible work schedules, fostering independence, and a healthy and happy work environment. Employees gain experience and develop a professional network through an office environment that promotes open collaboration.
MCA offers competitive salaries and benefit packages. We promote personal growth and training. MCA has licensed professionals on staff that can also support you on your path to licensure. We encourage all employees to seek licensure and certification in a variety of ways and to join professional organizations.
We are currently looking for somebody to join our diverse and knowledgeable team in San Francisco as they are developing into a young Architect or Engineer.
About the Position
Seeking new team members to be involved with all phases of the design and construction process, including producing design documents, visiting and observing construction sites, investigating building assemblies, and communicating with clients, contractors, city building officials and other design professionals. We value team members with a strong interest in learning, the ability to think critically to solve problems and the ability to clearly communicate those solutions.
Responsibilities of the position will include:
- Continually learning how different building enclosure systems work together. This includes foundation and below-grade systems, curtain walls, window and door openings, balcony and roofing systems, as well as typical architectural, structural and mechanical systems.
- Communicating with owners, architects, contractors, city building officials and various stakeholders in the building project
- Contributing to the production of Construction Documents including drawing sets, detail drawings and specifications.
- On-site construction observation and monitoring.
- Review Contractor submittals and RFIs.
- Forensic investigation of building systems including: water testing, destructive testing, thermal imaging, and sample testing, along with the associated technical reporting.
We don’t expect the right candidate to be an expert in all these areas right away. However, there are qualities and skills that we consider important:
- Strong desire to learn and grow
- Hands-on approach to learning (we do get dirty)
- Strong ability to communicate through drawing (hand sketching, CAD, Blubeam etc.)
- Construction knowledge or experience
- Strong spatial visualization skills, ability to visualize how materials and systems integrate with each other in three dimensions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-motivated, willing to work independently as well as collaborate with a project team
- Software proficiencies:
- AutoCAD / Revit
- Microsoft Office
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in an Architect/Engineering or associated field (Architecture, Structural Engineering, Civil Engineering, Construction Management etc.)
How to apply
Email only – please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line
- Cover Letter